Problems with campaigns in the booking engine
The problem is fixed as of March 5th 2010, 0700
March 3rd 2010, I noticed that campaigns were showing in the online booking engines(both consumer and agent solution), but when I chose a campaign, I was told that ship was full(see screenshot below). The consequense for customers and agents is that they currently cannot book some of our campaigns online.
I reported the issue to Product loading and they investigated the problem. They reported that everything looked OK from their side. I then asked the developers to investigate the issue. They reported back that the problem is related to a back office system. We have reported the problem and it is being dealt with as we speak – with great urgency. The issue has been escalated and hopefully the problem will be fixed today. I will update this post as soon as I receive news.
March 5, 2010: 07:00 Everything should be back to normal.
March 3, 2010: 18:35 The problem has been fixed on the development servers and will be rolled out to the live systems sometime tomorrow. Everything should be back to normal by tomorrow evening.
March 3, 2010: 15:11: The problem has been identified and the developers are currently fixing the problem. It will take a few hours. When the problem has been fixed, the live production environment will be updated. All systems should be OK tomorrow evening.
March 3, 2010: 13:04: Still no news on the issue. People are still working on fixing the problem. It has high priority and i marked with urgent.